The NCEHSOP Whitwam and Dideriksen Educational Scholarship Program
In order to further professional development and enhance the educational opportunities for environmental health specialists across North Carolina, the NC Environmental Health State of Practice Committee has established scholarships for two actively practicing specialists in the State.
These scholarships have been established in honor of two past NCEHSOP committee members, Robert “Bob” Whitwam, and Richard Dideriksen, both of whom served tirelessly to advance the professional development of environmental health specialists across the State.
The primary goal of the scholarships is to provide opportunities for specialists to attend educational events, focusing on environmental health, which may otherwise be unavailable to them. The scholarships will provide up to $1,500 annually for each of two candidates that meet the application requirements and are selected by the Committee.
The funds will be awarded for single events (conference, professional meeting, etc.). The scholarships are not intended for recurring educational activities, such as the pursuit of a college degree, or in combination with other funding for more than one event.
Beginning in 2016 applications will be accepted from January 1 through March 15 each year. The scholarships will be awarded by April 15 each year and will be valid for one year from date of award. The scholarships will cover standard expenses related to attendance of environmental health-directed educational events including conferences, professional meetings, seminars, and training courses that meet the minimum requirements set forth herein.
Funds will be provided, up to $1,500, to each selected candidate following the completion of the events attended and upon submission of all required, detailed receipts and invoices for expenses claimed by the candidate, and proof of attendance at the events. No scholarship funds will be provided in advance of an educational event.
Active members of the NCEHSOP Committee are not be eligible for scholarships. NCESHOP Committee members who are family members of an applicant, or who are employed in the same agency as an applicant, will recuse themselves from the selection process for that applicant.
Successful applicants must meet the following minimum requirements in order to be considered for these scholarships:
1. Applicants must hold a current Environmental Health Specialist Registration from the NC Board of Environmental Health Specialists Examiners and be in good standing with the Board.
2. Applicants must be actively practicing in a recognized, regulatory field of environmental health in North Carolina and have been so for a minimum of 2 years.
3. Applicants must be employed, in North Carolina, in an environmental health-related role in either a local health department or district, in a NC state agency, or other recognized regulatory agency at the time of application AND at the time of the educational event attendance.
4. Applicants must complete and sign the entire application and provide all required information in order to be considered.
5. Active members of the NCEHSOP committee are not eligible to receive the scholarships.
6. Applicants who have received an NCESHOP scholarship within the past 5 calendar years are not eligible receive the scholarships.
Educational Event Criteria
The following criteria must be met In order for an event to be considered for a scholarship:
1. Event must be directly related to a recognized area(s) of environmental health practice.
2. Event must meet NC Board of Environmental Health Specialists Examiners standards for the granting of continuing education hours.
3. Event must take place within one calendar year of the date that the scholarships are awarded.
All reasonable expenses related to the following sections will be considered for reimbursement. Travel costs can include extra days not directly included in an educational event if those days are reasonably necessary to attend the event.
For example, if a conference at a distant location starts at 9am on day one, then costs associated with travel to the event for the day immediately prior to its start will be considered for reimbursement.
The following expenses related to each educational event will be covered (up to a total of $1,500 for each scholarship) by the scholarship funds for each selected candidate:
A. Airfare, airport parking, taxi or shuttle service
C. Rental Car
D. Personal Vehicle Mileage (at current state government personal convenience rate)
E. Request for reimbursement of other expenses not covered in A-D will be considered on a case by case basis and will require detailed explanation.
A. Nightly lodging costs for the duration of the educational event. Lodging costs will be covered up to $30 over the existing NC state government rates for instate or out of state travel, as appropriate.
A. Meals will be reimbursed at the current state government rates for instate or out of state travel, as appropriate, for the duration of the educational event. Any meals specifically provided at no charge to attendees during an educational event will not be subject to reimbursement.
4. Registration Fees
A. Any fee(s) specifically required by the sponsoring body for the attendance of the educational event.
5. Miscellaneous Expenses
A. The Committee may consider any other educational event-related expenses submitted by the applicant on a case-by-case basis.
Official receipts are required for ALL expenses submitted for reimbursement except: personal vehicle mileage and meals. Personal mileage and meal reimbursement forms (provided by NCEHSOP) must be completed by the candidate and submitted for reimbursement following completion of the educational event.
The Scholarship Committee encourages all interested NC environmental health specialists to apply for these scholarships! Although only two successful candidates will be selected each year, all qualified applicants will receive one free registration to any NCEHSOP course of their choice during the year they apply!
If you have any questions please feel free to contact the NCEHSOP Committee through the “contact us” link on our website, and GOOD LUCK to all scholarship applicants!!
Applications may be submitted by mail to:
PO Box 316
Wentworth, NC 27375.
Application: NCEHSOP scholarship application 2017 fillable pdf